Linda & Wasted Wood, Atlantic, 1985.tiff
Ambrose Fulcher, of Atlantic, built the LINDA (left) in 1939 for John Weston Smith, who named it for his daughter. The LINDA was constructed as a runboat to fetch fish caught by long-haulers, but in this photo she was rigged out as a shrimp boat. The WASTED WOOD was built in 1933 by Will Mason, also from Atlantic, for the long-haul fishing trade. In the 1950s Atlantic's Charles Smith acquired the boat, rebuilt her, and renamed the vessel the DAVID M. for his son. In 1979 John "Buster" Salter purchased the boat and fished her until the late 1990s, when she was abandoned in the marsh.